Thursday, September 22, 2005

Hurricane Supply Grand Central (AKA Wal-Mart)

The local officials are recommending that we stock up on 3 days worth of water, non perishable food, batteries, keep cash on hand, and fuel up our gas tanks before Saturday. They say this hurricane will probably be a category 1 tropical storm by the time it hits us and could spawn some tornadoes. In other words, there's a possibility of power outages in the area.

I dropped my daughter off at her piano lesson after school and had exactly one hour to make a Wal-Mart run.

I got sucked into an all-out feeding frenzy.

What a zoo!!! It was worse than the day after Thanksgiving!!! Every person had bottled water in their carts, briquettes, paper plates, plastic tarps, ice chests, etc... and the canned food isle was a major traffic jam. I seriously thought there was going to be a fist fight over the last can of tuna. One woman tried to convince me to buy some Spam, she said it was good for occasions like this. I just smiled. Too icky. It was hard enough for me to buy Chef Boyardee and Baked Beans. I don't usually buy canned food but hey, in times of crisis it's sustenance.

No propane left, bottled water almost gone, no D size batteries either. Good thing I didn't need any of that stuff.

One confused woman stopped me in the check-out and asked, "What on earth is going on here? I've never seen this store like this before!" When I told her, she just stood there with her mouth gaping open. She only had a 6 pack of diet coke and some kleenex in her cart. I think she turned around and went back for more supplies, still thoroughly befuddled.

Needless to say I was late picking my daughter up. But we're well stocked and ready to go now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home